Monday 12 March 2012

Left-Handed Disabilities...

As a left-handed writer, I often find that I am unable to write on the seminar tables in numerous rooms around the university. The tables I have most difficulty with are in 'MC2201' (Ola's Thursday morning lecture room.)

I also noticed; as did a few other students, that it was nearly impossible for me to write on the whiteboard in my 'Newsday workshop' on Thursday afternoon whilst I was Editor without either smudging what I had already written, or writing at a ridiculously embarrassing downwards angle.

This led me to question whether or not this could count as a disability. After all, I find my self 'unable' to write comfortably, just as a paralysed person finds them self 'unable' to walk.

I emailed DART; the University of Lincoln's Disability Services and asked them what they thought about the situation. I was most disappointed and somewhat offended by their reply from the Senior Disability Advisor which was as follows:

"Hello, thanks for your email regarding the seminar desks. Most of the desks I have come across are multi-use,  i.e. right or left handed. You have to physically take the desk area out and re-position but its easily done."

I may not be the most 'with-it' person at the best of times, but, obviously I have tried to re-adjust the desks so that I can write with ease. Granted, the desks in Village Hall; whilst not being adjusted fully for left handed use, do have a large enough writing surface to allow me to write with relative comfort. However, MC2201's desks absolutely are not suitable, and you cannot "...physically take the desk area out and re-position it."

There must be other 'leftys' out there who have experienced similar issues? Numerous surveys have shown that around 10 per cent of the world's population are left handed.

Please tell me I'm not alone!

By Benjamin Yates

Sources: 
Pic 1 - http://www.leftorium.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment